WHAT'S OLD MAY BE NEW!

 

It occurs to me that it has been a while since I wrote a column in which I recommended books to read. Since many people are presumably stuck at home, now is probably a good time.

However, unlike many such lists, I will highlight books that may not be particularly current. Why? Well, mainly, because I am also stuck at home staring at my bookcase, and it’s full of books I read years ago.

Some of those that I mention may be hard to find, but heck, that’s what Amazon is for, right? So, here goes, in no particular order:

 FICTION

 Footfall by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. This massive 1985 tome is probably my favorite science-fiction novel. The plot is believable. An alien race consisting of a species (whose members look a lot like pachyderms) attacks and then invades Earth. What makes this story so compelling is that the invaders have their own moral code (we see things from their perspective), and their weapons are not all that superior to ours. I won’t give away the ending, but I will tell you that the battle is touch-and-go, and the human race produces some very unlikely heroes.

 The Complete Father Brown Stories by G. K. Chesterton. I have been watching past seasons of the BBC’s excellent Father Brown series, in which the inquisitive umbrella-carrying Catholic parish priest solves cases the local (and exceedingly dim) British constabulary bungle. So, I decided to spring for some of the original short stories written by Chesterton in the 1920s and 30s. (The BBC series has been updated to the 1950s.) The Wordsworth Classics paperback contains more than 50 of the stories and with preface and introduction clocks in at almost 800 pages.) Not to worry! It is available on Amazon for $4.99! That’s not a typo or the 1950 price. Snap it up.

 The Cape Cod Lighter, by John O’Hara. Another collection of short stories, by the great Philadelphia Main Line writer. O’Hara stripped the pretenses from well-to-do Americans better than just about anyone. And he did it in the 1960s, before a lot of the people he skewered even knew they were pretentious.

 The Drowning Pool by Ross Macdonald. Macdonald’s real name was Kenneth Millar and he wrote this thriller, which many critics consider high art. Some readers may remember the movie “The Drowning Pool” that starred Paul Newman as private eye Lew Harper. In the book, he was named Lew Archer. I don’t know why they changed the name. But, then, I don’t know why Millar changed his. In any event, both book and movie, which deal with corporate greed and family hatred in California, are terrific. Get hooked on Millar/Macdonald. He wrote 24 other great thrillers.  

 NON-FICTION

 Oh, Florida by Craig Pittman. Readers of my Facebook rants know that I think the state of Florida, where I live, is full of people nuttier than I am – and that’s saying a lot! I offer this book as proof. If I had put it the FICTION section, nobody would have noticed. Pittman details some of Florida’s most-outrageous crooks, shysters, charlatans, scams, schemes and politicians in a fun, rollicking and well-researched compendium of corruption. And, yet, you can’t help but realize that he still loves the state. As do I. How nuts is that!

 Iwo Jima, Legacy of Valor by Bill D. Ross. Lest folks think that I am a political malcontent, I offer this sobering book about unbelievable heroism and self-sacrifice. William Manchester said it best: “Moving and dramatic; a tribute to those who sacrificed their futures that we might have ours.” At a time when I often think that the “Ungrateful Generation” is betraying all the things the “Greatest Generation” won for it, Iwo Jima, Legacy of Valor, is a stark reminder of how great Americans can be.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FORE!