IF WISHES WERE VERSES ...

 Like most writers, I love good quotes. Don’t you? “I wish I had said that” is a refrain uttered — or thought — by most people.

So, in the spirit of the seasons (Thanksgiving or Christmas, whichever comes first; this year, I’m confused), I will cite some of my favorites, offering attribution when available. Some of the quotes deal with writing and literature. Others are just funny. All come from a marvelous book, 1,911 Best Things Anybody Ever Said by Robert Byrne (not THE Robert Byrne).


“Though I am not naturally honest, I am so sometimes by chance.” – Shakespeare

“The chicken probably came before the egg, because it is hard to imagine God wanting to sit on an egg.” – Unknown

“Thank you for sending me a copy of your book. I’ll waste no time reading it.” – Moses Hadad

“He who hesitates is not only lost, but miles from the next exit.” – Unknown (Been there, done that!)

“Your manuscript is both good and original, but the part that is good is not original and the part that is original is not good.” – Samuel Johnson

“There is no gravity. The earth sucks.” – Graffiti

“A well-written life is almost as rare as a well-spent one.” – Thomas Carlyle

“If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.” – Abraham Lincoln (Hopefully, Abe wasn’t talking to the White House chef.)

“Let others praise ancient times; I am glad I was born in these.” – Ovid (More than 2,000 years ago!)

“When in doubt, have two guys come through the door with guns.” – Raymond Chandler (As a mystery and thriller writer myself, I’ve taken this one to heart.)

“You are no bigger than the things that annoy you.” – Jerry Bundsen

“I do most of my writing sitting down. That’s where I shine.” – Robert Benchley

And one of my favorites:

“I don’t want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth if it costs them their jobs.” – Samuel Goldwyn

And finally (for now):

“Nothing is said that has not been said before.” – Terence (Also from over 2,000 years ago!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT'S OLD MAY BE NEW!

FORE!