Hello!

In my career as a reporter, editor, columnist, reviewer and novelist, I have written millions of words.

I have won journalism awards, been nominated for a Pulitzer and have e-published 17 thrillers and mysteries on Amazon.

I have a website, and am active on Facebook, Twitter and other social media sites.

And, yet, this is my first blog! Go figure!

I'm calling it "The Write Stuff," which is also the name of my column for the Washington Independent Review of Books (WIROB). I debated using another name, but I'm an inveterate punster, so why not? Besides, Sam Shepard, a great actor and playwright, just passed away and it just feels appropriate. His portrayal of Chuck Yeager in "The Right Stuff" movie based on Tom Wolfe's book about the Mercury astronauts (remember them?) is iconic.

What I hope to do in this blog is offer tips on writing. Such tips, I believe, will be helpful to fiction and non-fiction writers, and germane to print and electronic publishing. I will also provide some inside "how to" knowledge about self-publishing, which is a lot easier today than ever. (Please don't assume that my late leap into blogging is an indication of computer incompetence. I've been pretty busy writing those 17 novels.)

I also intend to comment on books and movies. I have been both a book and movie reviewer, so I hope my insights will be helpful. But please feel free to disagree -- agreeably, I hope -- with anything I say.

I will soon provide links to WIROB and other useful sites. WIROB, in particular, is a font of terrific reviews and commentary, aimed mainly at those who read print books. The fact that the WIROB folks put up with me, and my Amazon-centric e-book philosophy, tells you something about their devotion to literature.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT'S OLD MAY BE NEW!

FORE!